Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 18: Bad Mood

There's something about being in a funky mood that makes me want to eat junk food. Though the scale is moving steadily down, I'm getting discouraged that the desire to be unhealthy seems to be holding strong. This makes me cranky... and makes me bad company... not the band, just... you know what I meant.

Things I like and will keep doing:
  • Fruit alone for breakfast. It's easy, tasty and satisfying in the AM.
  • Heavy on the veggies. Having mostly vegetables helps to fill me without all of the calories in carbs and proteins.
  • Variety show. Different meal options in an wide array of colors is pleasing to my stomach and my eyes.
  • Lean proteins. Beans, hummus, nuts, edamame and lentils... Delicious protein that is high in fiber and low in fat.
  • Whole grains. Wheat tortillas and whole grain bread just taste better and have more nutrients than white flour.
  • Whole foods. The less it's processed, the better it is for anyone. Plus, cooking your own food burns more calories.
Things I can't wait to have again:
  • Coffee (no... really?!?!?)
  • Honey
  • Some meat... once in awhile I really miss chicken
  • Cheese!!!!!
  • Eggs... the most perfect form of animal protein if you're careful about the yolks.
Things I just have to let go of already:
  • Processed and pre-packaged foods... This covers anything that has a nutrition label that lists anything that is unrecognizable unless it's written in another language. So... Most (but not all) chips, crackers, noodle bowls, frozen dinners, canned concoctions, candy bars and frozen desserts. Exceptions are organic/all natural alternatives with clearly listed ingredients that read like "Whole wheat flour, canola oil, salt" (no "monosodiumglutacarbodiglyceridepolymorphinmeldahyd to preserve freshness")
  • White things... Why's it gotta be WHITE things? No white rice, sugar, flour, mayonnaise, sour cream... The exceptions are yogurt, cauliflower, egg whites and, technically, potatoes (in moderation)
This doesn't mean I won't ever have a BBQ Chicken Pizza again just not the prepackaged frozen kind that's been sprayed with some weird chemical to make it brown better in my toaster oven.

1 comment: