Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Whole30 Day 11

Well that was fast! Today went by in such a blur that I didn't even remember to take photos of my food. :)

I ate more middle eastern chicken. Shwarma for lunch and Tawook for dinner. The place by my house has really good dressing so I bought a big container to use on my own salads. It's just oil, lemon juice, and sumac and it's so tasty. It could entirely replace ranch! I never though I would say that...

Since there are no photos I am going to take advice from my friend Michelle and share my scratch made mayonnaise recipe. It's so easy and so much better for you than the jars of poison they sell in stores. Just bear in mind, it only lasts up to 5 days in the fridge and doesn't hold up to freezing, so make it to use it, eh?

Edibles:
One egg yolk (save the egg white to use later if you want)
Approximately one cup of oil (mild flavors like extra virgin olive oil could be too strong, so try sunflower oil or canola)
2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar (apple cider or red wine)
Salt and pepper to taste

Gear:
Sturdy mixing bowl
Egg beater with only one wisk attached
Rolled up kitchen towel (optional to steady your bowl if it gets too wobbly)

How:
Put egg yolk in the mixing bowl and beat on low until it starts to get creamy and a little foamy.
Add the oil VERY slowly while beating like a maniac.
Seriously, like one drop at a time.
Not kidding.
As the emulsion starts to come together and thicken (about halfway through the oil) you can add the lemon juice or vinegar and then add the rest of the oil in a slow, steady stream until you're either out of oil or your arm falls off.
Fold in salt and pepper to taste and enjoy your better-for-you scratch made mayonnaise!

I can't wait to try it on some whole wheat bread with fresh sliced juicy tomato, but for now it's just tuna salad with red onion and green olives or chicken salad with grapes, celery, and walnuts. Either way, delicious...

Tomorrow is Laneway Festival at Meadowbrook. It'll be an all day thing... I am prepared in the event that none of the food vendors offers something Whole30 compliant. I'll just be grumpy eating nuts, a banana, and a Larabar while everyone chows down on everything from Union Joints (I'm assuming pub food) to Shimmy Shack food truck (vegan burgers, fries, and shakes).

It's all worth it to be able to see Sigur Rose, The National, Frightened Rabbit, Deerhunter, and Chvrches all in one day!

Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment