Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Whole30 Day 21

The countdown to the end begins with today. Oh my gosh I found the best lamb stew recipe and, thanks to swapping out the mashed chick peas for a better option, I am hooked!

Well, you can't see much from the photo thanks to the spinach blocking the view, but tender slow braised lamb with cumin, cardamom, onions and diced tomatoes on top of mashed yams lie under the blanket of greens. Thank God for slow cookers!

Dinner took forever because I decided it'd be fun to make garlic aioli. Three tries later (two failed and one successful) I sat down to this
Tuna salad with chopped red onion and green olives alongside the egg whites from my aioli attempts topped with the aforementioned aioli.

Really good stuff, though I should have listened to the internet a advice about cutting the extra virgin olive oil with pure olive oil. Extra virgin has a strooooong flavor! Thankfully, the garlic and seasonings made it turn out ok.

My friend Paige mentioned that, during this challenge, she and her husband correlated a feeling of hunger with feeling tired. I hadn't thought of it before, but I can say it's true thinking back to each time I felt I could just go to sleep. My body has re-learned that food is fuel. Rather than the processed, sodium packed, chemical laced, sugar coated, hormone ridden, pre-packaged nonsense food that I used to eat making me feel lethargic, tired, and lazy I get a little sleepy when it's time to fill up the tank.   

So day 21 begins tomorrow and it marks three weeks of success with nine to go. Sometimes I get a little longing for popcorn or something sweet. Occasionally I wish I could have toast with my eggs at brunch. But you know what? I don't stare at my plate anymore analyzing how much I've got left until the plate is clean. I set down my fork, look up, talk to the people I'm with and, more often than not, I leave food on my plate because I get to take the time to let my stomach catch up to my brain.

Blah blah blah, long-ish post.

See you tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment